Are you ready to bring home a new furry family member? If so, you may be wondering, “How do you adopt a dog?”. At The Rescue Vets, we strive to make the process as easy as possible while still ensuring that rescued dogs are matched to the right home. Learn how to adopt a dog and what you can expect from the adoption process.
What Do You Have to Do to Adopt a Dog from The Rescue Vets?
Step 1: Application
Start the process of adopting a dog from The Rescue Vets by filling out our online application!
- Read our adoption process page, then check the box at the bottom of the page confirming that you’ve read all the fine print.
- Click the “Apply Now” button, which will open up an online application in a new browser window.
- Fill out the application, and make sure to click the “Submit” button to send us your adoption application!
Step 2: Meet and Greet
Once your Rescue Vets adoption application has been approved by us, it’s time to schedule a meet and greet with the dog you’re interested in! At The Rescue Vets, this involves bringing all the members of your household to meet the potential pup, including current dogs (if you have cats, they can stay home). We may also conduct a home visit if necessary, prior to finalizing any adoption.
Step 3: Complete Adoption and Bring Your New Friend Home!
You’ll need to sign your adoption contract, pay your fee, and bring your new pup home!
How Long Does it Take to Adopt a Dog?
So, how long does it take to adopt a dog? The answer to this question can vary depending on how the application and meet-and-greet processes go. Our team will need time to process your application, check references, and contact your veterinarian. If we have to schedule a home visit in addition to a meet and greet, that can add some time to the process. However, a successful adoption is worth the wait.
To ensure you have a successful adoption, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve really thought through your decision to adopt, as well as the type of dog you’re looking at. Before you plan on bringing home a fuzzy friend, consider the following:
- Your Schedule: Dogs require a time commitment. Does your schedule allow you enough time to care for a dog? Will you be able to let them out regularly? If not, can you afford to pay someone to walk them while you’re at work?
- Your Budget: Food, collars, leashes, and toys can add up. You’ll also need to plan for routine vet care, which includes things like heartworm testing, heartworm preventative, vaccinations, and stool samples. And, just like humans, dogs can also experience emergencies from illness to injury that require veterinary care.
- Your Lifestyle: While you may love the look of an Australian Shepherd, you may not have the time and energy to keep this spirited working breed entertained and challenged. The Rescue Vets can help you find a dog that will work with your lifestyle -whether you’re a marathon runner or only marathon movies from your couch.
- Your Future: Dogs are a lifetime commitment. While you may not be interested in kids today, if you think you’ll want them in the next 10 or more years you’ll want to look for a dog that is family-friendly. You can’t predict the future, but you will want to keep in mind long term plans and goals when adopting.
Meet Our Adoptable Dogs Today at Rescue Vets!
Now that you can answer the question, “What do you need to do to adopt a dog?”, come meet our adoptable animals at The Rescue Vets! We can help match you to the right dog for your family, and walk you through how to adopt a dog from us today!